Friday, June 1, 2018

A Boy And His Television


That's your servant in front of Grandma Lawson's television. I'm watching one of the many Rankin/Bass holiday specials. It's not Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, but I can't tell which one it is. I know this had to have been taken around Christmas time, from the boxes on top of the television. Was it my birthday? I think not. I think if it was, I would have been in my navy blue sailor suit with the red stockings and red kerchief. (More on that later.) Look under the stool and you'll see "Mr. Elephant," my beloved toy. He was looking pretty shabby even then, even after being re-upholstered with another old washcloth. But I couldn't give him up just yet. He had that wonderful aroma -- something akin to baby food or who knows what.

Photos from my past and the tales they tell.
In any event, this shows the beginning of my interest in television. I wish I could show me watching The Price Is Right, or High Rollers, or Concentration, or even Magnificent Marble Machine -- any one of those game shows were on my watch list.

The Royal Father took this picture, and it has been one of my favourites. I know it's one of his favourites as well. He found it in his archives, stashed away in a drawer. A few years ago, the Royal Father and the Queen Mother framed it and gave it to me for Christmas, and it's now on my wall.

No comments: