|Photos from my past and the tales they tell.|
The instructions also said it was perfectly normal for this pair to slouch in front like you see, highlighting my expanding middle-age midsection. I didn't worry about that; a weskit would cover it. The bigger problem was the legs... or more specifically, leg room. I had followed the instructions to the letter and had the right size for my thighs, but when I first slipped them on, they were way too tight. I took the risky step of letting them down nearly to the edge of the seam allowance, using a zigzag stitch I hoped would provide more reinforcement. They have yet to be fully stress tested at a dance, but for now, they're holding up.
I posted this to a Facebook sewing group, and to my encouragement and relief, the response was nearly universally positive. A moderator who is akin to the Yoda of historic sewing said I was a brave soul for attempting this.
"Breeches are hard!" exclaimed another.
Since then I've found a simpler pattern, one that doesn't require so much assembly because it doesn't have pockets. I still have to take in the legs, because now they're too wide out of the box. But they don't look like a costume, they don't slouch at a peculiar angle, and they're tight enough without me having to worry about splitting them. I've been down that road before...