Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Where Do You See Yourself In Five Years?

Answering the questions people have
asked (or I have asked myself) about
my past, present, or future.
Honestly, I don't know if I'll still be in the news business then.

I have worked in newsrooms for nearly 24 years. Sooner or later, the time will come for me to say, "I really need to do something else." That will be determined by several factors, not all of which I can talk about on this blog. A friend of mine who has moved on from Tucson to bigger and better things once told me, "Once you stop caring, it's time to leave."

I still care, but maybe not in the same ways I did when I first started working. My business hero Marcus Lemonis likes to break down businesses into three components: people, process, and product. Maybe I once cared the most about the product, but I increasingly feel myself caring more about the people and the process. Care about those things, and the product will benefit.

And yes, getting right with GOD has also changed my perspective. It has happened gradually, not overwhelmingly, but in a matter I can see. Another person told me, "We need a Christian working in the mainstream media!" as he nearly begged me to keep doing what I was doing.

I've got my eyes and nose open for opportunities. When the time is right to make a move, I'll move -- but not before, and not for the wrong reasons.

No comments: