Sunday, January 28, 2018

Have You Ever Feared For Your Life?

Answering the questions people have
asked (or I have asked myself) about
my past, present, or future.
I have considered myself blessed not to have seen my life flash before my eyes, but two incidents gave me pause.

One happened about a decade ago, when I was on my way to a wedding in southeast Tucson. The venue was located in the mountains, and while trying to find my way, I was stopped on the side of the road which I thought had little traffic. I nearly pulled out right into the path of an oncoming SUV. Fortunately, I caught myself before hitting the gas pedal. On the way back, I nearly hit a coyote in the darkness.

Another time, I was on my way to a home in Flagstaff located along a dirt and gravel road. This was in my old green Kia, which did not have a lot going for it in terms of suspension and traction. While taking a curve a wee bit too fast, I hit a skid and spun out, whirling completely around. The car stayed on the road, but I ended up facing the wrong direction. Traffic was nonexistent, sparing me from the danger of an oncoming car.

I have learned to cut my driving risks; many times for events in Phoenix, I have gotten a cheap motel room rather than make Paul Revere's midnight ride back to Tucson. I'm driving a lot slower at night as well, although the Queen Mother still thinks I drive too fast during night runs from Tucson to Los Angeles. The drive should take about 7 hours by the book, but I can do it in 6.5, not including the time for the traditional gas-and-grub stop in Quartzite.

As I've told you here, I've also learned the benefits of having a car with cruise control after getting popped for zooming north on U.S. 89 outside Las Vegas at more than 100 MPH.

No comments: