Thursday, January 12, 2017

The Word Is LACONIC

This series is inspired by the "Words From
Unity" public service announcements
that ran on television (particularly in
Kansas City) in the 1970's and 80's.
In ancient Greece, those from Laconia said little, creating a word that long outlived them. It comes with a negative, sometimes dour connotation. Many of these people have tremendous impact on the people around them, often for good.

But once, I had to work with somebody who said little while handling a sizable load of responsibility. Ms. Laconic edited tape at a previous station I worked at. She had a habit of not saying anything was wrong until she would utter a brief phrase over the headset. By then, it was too late to deal with it, prompting some awkward moments during a newscast. She had a habit of saying little, period.

And there were rumors. "She'll turn you into a frog," one director told me, thinking her broom was parked right outside. I never saw anything like that, fortunately.

Then there are the people who say little but just radiate warmth. A regular member of one of the dance groups I'm is quietly joyous and spirited, letting her movement do the talking. I prefer to call it focused; I'm that way myself when I'm trying to work through the patterns and gotchas of a strathspey.

As we know -- or should remind ourselves -- people talk in different ways. Some just enjoy the silence.

No comments: