Monday, January 23, 2017

The Word Is ERUPTION

This series is inspired by the "Words From
Unity" public service announcements
that ran on television (particularly in
Kansas City) in the 1970's and 80's.
Volcanic events are not limited to our Earth. Our relationships and our plans blow up. Our tempers explode, and you don't want to get caught in the lava flow. Watching Gordon Ramsay's eruptions on Hell's Kitchen is a constant reminder of who I do not want to become.

I have stood knee deep in ash and magma in a previous job, when a boss decided excoriating everybody was effective leadership. I soon left, as did many others. This boss was not boss for much longer, although he later admitted to a mutual friend that his blow-ups drove people away. And still, this mutual friend told me although she didn't like this guy's bullying, he was whipping people into shape in a competitive workplace. It was the grudging bargain of living with one thing to have the other.

I know I've wanted to blow up numerous times, and I have had to sit on my temper (James 1:19) because among other things, I know the short-term satisfaction will not equal the long-term guilt, or who knows what other consequences. I have seen people get fired for just one eruption, maybe not loud and boisterous but underhanded and passive-aggressive. This isn't even counting the number of times I've had to hold back from shredding somebody on Facebook.

With all the lava I've had to store up inside, it's a blessing I'm not dead from being burned from the inside.

No comments: