Friday, January 27, 2017

The Word Is CONQUER

This series is inspired by the "Words From
Unity" public service announcements
that ran on television (particularly in
Kansas City) in the 1970's and 80's.
"Conquer" is one of those words that has deep dark connotations and yet it can appear so antiseptically. I have seen it used...

In textbooks: "Cortez conquered the Aztecs."

On Superfriends: "I will conquer them!"

In the Peanuts comic strip where Sally exclaims: "I've conquered new math!"

It's peculiar how the same word that can describe the joys of mastering fractional division can also describe the decimation and subjugation of peoples. Perhaps that's why I'm reluctant to use it even the creatively hyperbolic sense.

But don't let your servant hold you back from conquering your fears, your prejudices, your bad habits, your weight gain, your bad memories, and your sloth. If you are going to conquer the Annoying Guy in the Cubicle Next To You, this is where I turn and walk away, taking the sharp objects with me.

No comments: