Sunday, June 11, 2017

When They Invade, They'll Go For The Pretty Ones First

A look at the songs that have shaped
my life and ended up on my devices.
Donald Fagen's "Kamakiriad," a science-fiction inspired concept album released in 1993, is not a Steely Dan album -- but it might as well be. Fagen re-teamed with Walter Becker to record it, and they both toured it. I would've never heard a note of this album if it had not been for KFXB/WFXB in St. Louis -- "The Fox" -- which regularly played cuts, including this one about an alien invasion of beautiful women.



I later got the entire CD through the BMG Music Club, something I subscribed to through one of those offers in magazines saying, "Get 8 albums for 1 cent, with nothing more to buy, ever!" BMG usually had older, less popular music than Columbia House's similar club, but the terms were less restrictive.



I liked Fagen's album for its adventurous lyrics and storyline, the same qualities that attracted me to Genesis years earlier. Although I don't think it's as good as Steely Dan's group work, "Tomorrow's Girls" worked its way into my devices. The rest of the songs are still mostly in my memory.

No comments: