Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Get Down, Stay Up

A look at the songs that have shaped
my life and ended up on my devices.
As I mentioned in a previous posting, when my family and I went to visit friends in Pittsburg, Kansas, it always seemed to rain in La Cygne, Kansas, on the way back. And sometimes, it stormed. I think half the time we came back, Kansas City would be under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch or Tornado Watch.

As a kid, I had a hard time falling asleep in severe weather. Not only did the lightning scare me -- along with the thought of a Tornado Warning in the middle of the night -- I wanted to watch what the weathercasters were saying on TV. So one Saturday night after getting home from a Kansas trip, I stayed up late, very late, past 1 in the morning to monitor the weather via TV. I didn't see any severe weather bulletins (save for a "Severe Thunderstorm Watch" icon in the lower left-hand corner of KCTV 5), but I did see this video from Kool And The Gang.



I always remember this video for its use of computer-generated effects -- a little messy, I'll grant you, but groundbreaking for 1981. I think I ended up falling asleep in front of the set, waiting for that weather update that never came.

No comments: