Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Ain't A Party If Nobody's Dancin'

A look at the songs that have shaped
my life and ended up on my devices.
I remember hearing Rufus & Chaka Khan's "Ain't Nobody" at a friend's Christmas party a decade ago. Or was it Halloween? I don't remember, and seeing as how the song came out in 1984, I can't figure out how I missed hearing it for the first time.



This song was featured in the dance flick Breakin', and my younger brother had the soundtrack -- and the moves. Your servant was in full geek mode at this time, meaning the only moves I had were shifting bits around in my computer's memory, although I bet you if somebody had introduced me to Scottish or English Country Dance at this time -- outside of school -- I might have let it fly.

The song has enough funk, in my opinion, to escape an expiration date. It fit the break-dance craze, but it's not married to it. Once I acquired this for my device, I must've looped it at least 20 times. I've done that with a lot of songs: play them over and over again until my brain wears out on them and ejects the melody so I don't keep thinking about it. Torture? Only if somebody's waterboarding you.

No comments: