Thursday, June 8, 2017

A Delayed Gift

A look at the songs that have shaped
my life and ended up on my devices.
In January of 1992, I'm about to start the second half of my Sophomore year in college at the University of Missouri. After Christmas break, I've returned to my dorm in a snow-caked Columbia, Missouri. After unpacking and re-setting for the upcoming semester, I finally remember to check my mailbox. I haven't forwarded anything during the last month I've been away, so a pile of correspondence is waiting for me, including an Elton John hits CD from the BMG music club. I'd forgotten I'd ordered it before the holidays. But now it was here, and I put it into the stereo. Among the songs is this one, which sounds unlike any Elton song I've heard.



Elton barely plays piano on this disco-infused number. He didn't even write it. Neither did his longtime partner, Bernie Taupin. But I remember the bouncy beat giving life during the dead of winter, grey and cold. I would soon start another round of classes, and this was a nice surprise to find before having to hit the books again.

No comments: