Thursday, June 29, 2017

Time To Get Up And Back

A look at the songs that have shaped
my life and ended up on my devices.
Say the words "The Breakfast Club," and most of you will think of that iconic 1980's John Hughes film. I will also think about that one-big-hit wonder band in 1987 that came out with one of the coolest videos of the 1980's, featuring a cameo by Wink Martindale to boot.



MTV played this video regularly, a sort of "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" pastiche, back when MTV still played music. My brother Michael got the cassette of their album, and he even got my Royal Father to listen to it in the car. I don't know if he liked it or not.

I know this though: "Right On Track" represents everything I love about 1980's music: fun lyrics and addictive, danceable melodies. Having a great video helped, too. Some of you know Madonna played drums in this band before striking out on her own. I remember sharing this song on a cassette I sent to Lady Darley (my English pen-pal who I talked about previously here on "30/30").

After "Right On Track" hit big, the band followed this hit up with another, minor hit:



While it had a catchy hook, "Kiss And Tell" failed to hit big, and their self-titled debut album would be their last until just last year, when an unreleased second album finally saw the light of day nearly three decades after recording. Somebody still thinks this band has something to offer.

No comments: