Wednesday, June 21, 2017

How About A Song That Fits The Hat?

A look at the songs that have shaped
my life and ended up on my devices.
When I came to Tucson in 2000, my colleagues turned me on to singing karaoke after my first weekend on the job at KOLD. After putting the 10pm Sunday night show to bed, we went down the street to the Old Father Inn for beers and amateur crooning. That would be the first of many such ventures.

I belted out Earth Wind and Fire, James Brown, AC/DC and too many other artists to remember. For some unexplained, incomprehensible, and unrecallable reason, I started wearing my tricorn hat to these outings. Paul Revere and the Raiders I wasn't, let alone Prince or even Genesis -- once known for art-rock costume theatrics. I once decided to do this Paul McCartney number because the hat lent itself so beautifully to a section of lyrics.



I could pose like Captain Morgan for at least a couple of stanzas while indulging my Peter Gabriel-esque desire to belt out some progressive rock. "Supper's Ready" is way too long for karaoke, although I could've handled it without breaking a sweat or destroying the furniture. I had to settle for the next best thing.

No comments: