Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Frayed Threads, Frayed Nerves

Most of the pieces of my new fancy 1740's coat are now together, and for the love of mercy, I hope they stay that way.


The continuing bane of my sewing existence is mostly the sleeves, whether it's getting them together with the cuffs or setting them into the armholes. I didn't get the edges even enough, so I've had to go back and re-stitch some edges that escaped the needle. It's a nip and tuck job all the way around. On the outside, it doesn't look half bad, although a stitch purist will give me the hairy eyeball over a lump or two. I can fix some of this with an iron.

I probably should trim some seam allowance, too. But I won't, and here's why:


That beautiful blue satin jacquard is a fraying giant. Every time I finish a stitch line, I see more golden threads running away. Yes, I know about Fray-Check. No, I don't think it will help. I just have to be careful.

No comments: