Wednesday, January 23, 2019

All This And Birds Too!



I hear this 1975 song on the radio, and three things stand out:

A mix of your servant's favourite music
and moves, set to stories and observations.
1) Minnie Riperton's beautifully-ranged voice

2) The chirping birds added in for effect

3) The unmistakable swirly strings of an ARP synthesizer

I also remember this song turned up in a Burger King ad in the 1990's.



But I wouldn't get to hear the full song until R&B oldies radio stations started signing on in the late 1990's, back when I was still living in the Rio Grande Valley. That area didn't have a "mega oldies" station yet, so I relied on RealAudio (remember that?) to pipe in a Dallas station over my dial-up internet line (remember that, too?). When I moved to Tucson in 1999, "Mega 106.5" immediately earned a spot on my car radio's tuner memory. At one point, we also had a second R&B oldies station that lasted about a year on a weak frequency -- more fun while it lasted!

No comments: