Thursday, January 24, 2019

A Little To The Left, A Little To The Right



The French have some neat dances. And they have some deceptively simple ones. In this one, you move to the right, and to the left, do some clapping, do some turning, and do it all over again.

A mix of your servant's favourite music
and moves, set to stories and observations.
Sounds simple enough, right? Here's where the deception comes in. When I do this at Folk Dance night (spot the peasant in the brown), I get thrown because I'm watching my steps in the mirror off camera, and I also have to move in the opposite direction as the line I am facing. The result is more than a few errant actions.

It fascinates me when I see all my dancing friends doing all these steps that will tie my feet up into knots. I have to follow the leader and I'm still learning every week.

"You have to put your whole body into it," somebody told me once. Yes, but how is that going to help my feet when they're the ones that gotta get it done?

No comments: