Monday, June 25, 2018

Laird Christopher, Dancing Master


March 2015: This has to be one of your servant's favourite pictures from Williamsburg. I'm at a community center following a meeting of the local Jane Austen Society. We've just had some discussion and dancing. And among other things, your servant taught an uncertain, inexperienced young lady how to cavort elegantly. That expression of nobility on my countenance is a reflection of my inner warmth, finally setting free the repressed 18th Century Dancing master within.

Photos from my past and the tales they tell.
This was after a grand ball the previous evening, which you can read about here.

As I was returning home to Tucson (and reality), your servant mused on Facebook about teaching the young patriots the arts of courtly capering. I have had many an opportunity to lead and teach. I am thankful for every one. But it's that one-on-one opportunity, the chance to teach a lady, give her honour and uplift her, that brings your servant the most joy.

"They're not china dolls," a friend once snarked.

Yes. I know. I get it. But I'm tired of getting the vibe that we're not allowed to be beautiful towards one another, that realism precludes us from constructive fantasy -- especially if it leaves us all better than we found one another.

No comments: