Friday, January 29, 2016

The Big Finish

After about a month of work, off and on, my new satin jaquard coat is ready to go. I have finally added the buttons. I am debating whether to add a hook fastener to the neck or just cut the top buttonhole out. Or I might just try to let it lie. For that, I may need to stiffen up the left side with starch.

Some lessons I learned:

  • I need pinking shears, or a pinking roller cutter.  The fraying on this material drove me up the wall.  I had to use more Fray Check than a rational tailor would consider, and my sewing advisors who have been following this are probably cringing.
  • I'll try fusible bonding web rather than fabric glue the next time I want to attach gold edging like you see above.  It's holding, but it looks bumpy in some places.
  • I need to find a way to make the sleeves just a little bigger without losing the period-correct look.  I intentionally let out the seam allowance by about a quarter of an inch to give me a little more room. 
This will look better when I'm wearing it.  That picture is coming when I head for Williamsburg.

No comments: