Thursday, November 29, 2007

Disqualified... And Then "Dissed"

I have read all sorts of responses to my appearance on The Price Is Right. Many of you have been supportive and sympathetic. But I cannot go on without addressing a persistent and annoying allegation raised at me.

In essence, it's this: "You [insert favorite pejorative here], don't you know you can't win on a network game show if you work for one of the network's stations?"

And its corollary: "You [pejorative], an affiliate is a subsidiary! What a moron!"

Let's begin with the second allegation first. As defined by dictionary.com:

n. pl. sub·sid·i·ar·ies
1. One that is subsidiary to another.
2. A subsidiary company.
3. Music - A theme subordinate to a main theme or subject.
KOLD is not owned or controlled by CBS. We have a programming contract with them, which we pay the network for. That's what an affiliation agreement is. None of the people at KOLD are involved in the production of CBS shows. We simply take them off the satellite, promote them and play 'em. That's all.

As for the main allegation: that I should have known better. I will admit I was naive, and I didn't want to ask lest I get disqualified in line. But I honestly felt I was interpreting the rules fairly. Critics: how many of you would have done the same thing in my position? How many of you would have seen "a loophole" by omission? I know my explanation -- that nothing was said about affiliates -- sounds like a weak, "don't ask, don't tell" policy. But that's the way I interpreted the announcement.

And let me offer this argument: in the growing world of octopus media conglomerates, just how far do we want to stretch the rule of ineligibility? Should a Blockbuster clerk be ineligible because he works for a company connected to a company that owns another company producing the show? I see no need to take eligibility rules as far as they go.

If you are associated with the show producer, you shouldn't be eligible. If you are associated with the network, you shouldn't be eligible. If you are associated with the show sponsor, you shouldn't be eligible. Beyond that, we need to think seriously. For crying out loud, let's draw some reasonable lines. The Price Is Right is great for the wide variety of people it draws into its contestant pool. The fear of another quiz show scandal should not have producers tilting at windmills.

I didn't get my prizes. I never will. That should show you the system works. And why are you so upset by what you see as ignorance on my part? In your eyes, I got what was coming to me. Hundreds of people who didn't get picked to "Come On Down" still have a chance to play and win. I took nothing from them.

My bosses and co-workers at KOLD have been nothing but supportive. Now you know why I have stayed with this station for eight years, triple the lifespan of the typical TV producer at one station. Yes, I'm keeping my job. Helping keep a newscast number one is healthy job security.

For you conspiracy theorists: My station did not know I was going to be on the show before I actually got on. Nobody "got me in." I'm just a person who grew up watching this show and wanted to play. That's all. This wasn't a cooked-up promotional stunt.

And to that person who chided me for how I saw this as a test of faith and wanted me to "STFU" -- I'm praying for you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta say I think you've handled this whole situation quite well, better then most might have in fact.

Really in a sense it was a test of faith, I mean most people in your shoes could have taken this case and said: "Ok, you're not going to give me my prizes, well then I'm gonna file a lawsuit, because you didn't specify every possible case for my being ineligible".

But you didn't do that, you instead accepted the matter as it was, and have chosen to move on with your life. In this day and age, where so many ridiculous lawsuits over something as simple as spilling coffee on yourself ran rampant, I think that is quite commendable.

I give you a lot of credit too, as far as being honest with the producers about the loophole as it were, that says a lot about you I think.

And hey, look at it this way, you still got on TV, and that moment in the sun will last a lot longer then the $2500 will.

Anonymous said...

It's late here on the east coast but after reading your blog and your follow up, I completly agree with Adam. Congratulations on getting picked to come on down and I'm sorry for the way things turned out.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't take a lot of stock in what those people say, that one place is creepy. They sit around and criticize contestants because they don't have the prices psychotically memorized. And then throw fits because freakin music cues completely ruin their precious TPIR watching.

Congrats on getting picked and everything and congrats on handling the situation with dignity and honesty

Anonymous said...

According to one of the "dissers" on TWOP, you're just someone that wants something to piss and moan about. That place isn't as bad as the weirdos at place that anon here posted about, but it's pretty close.

Unknown said...

I feel bad for you and what happened. I know what that Golden-road.net site is like, and many of the people there are incredibly nasty and rude, even over the most minor things. Don't feel bad about what they say, because they'll do it to anyone.