Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Lady Darley's Sweet Sixteen

Just days after Lady Darley's last letter, another arrives dated April 11, 1990. It's a short one, but it's still detailed, and she's dropping hints.
Dear Chris,

I know that I have only just written to you. Yesterday, in fact. But I'm sitting here, in my living room watching the television. So I thought, why not write my American friend Chris a letter. So here it is.

Can I give you a subtle hint? Yes. Well it is my birthday in exactly four weeks and twelve days. No, actually four weeks thirteen days. I shall finally be 16 years old.

When do you go to university? I read your last letter of 2 months ago and you told me you had been accepted. I won't say congratulations because I'm sure I congratulated you beforehand, didn't I? But what you didn't tell me in your letter was what you were going to study in university. Are you looking forward to going to it, or are you a bit worried about all those new people. I know that I would have been.
I was worried, worried about the workload, worried about living away from home for the first time in my life, worried if I had the chops for college work. A high GPA and a high ACT score should indicate a high chance for success. But I'm not sure.
Well, I can tell you that I'm looking forward to visiting the good old U.S.A. at long last. I hope to achieve some new friends, have a good time and lots of fun. Where would you say would be a good place for me to visit in Kansas City. [Your Raytown friend] and her mum were asking me where I would like to go. I liked the look on the zoo and Worlds of Fun, the shopping mall, the art museums, all the lakes. I'd love to learn how to ride a horse, go cycling and whatever else would be a lot of fun. I want or hope to have a lot of fun when I come to the U.S.A.

When we go back to school on the 23rd of April, I'll be taking photographs of all my friends. I'll send you a copy of me with my friends along with a copy to [your Raytown friend]. Some of my friends will be leaving in 3 weeks and I won't see very much of them. So I thought it would be good to have a photograph because then I will always have them to look back on when I'm older.

Have I told you about [Laurie]? She is, at least I thought she was my best friend at school. But just lately we seem to be arguing so much about [Redacted], work, social activities, just about everything. Even me coming to America. The problem is that I value her friendship quite a lot. She's the only person who really understands me I suppose.

Before I go and let you get on with something more interesting, can you ask around if 3 of your friends want an English pen friend. Me, [Laurie], and [Abby].

Thank you,
Write soon,
Lots of love,
Your Friend,
[Lady Darley]

No comments: