Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Failure Is Not An Option

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh anymore. I did in college, but back then, he took more deserved swipes at left-wing excess. Now he's just become an annoyance.

As many of you know, he recently said that he hopes President Obama "fails." The broader quote, in context, is a bit more subtle but still disheartening:
My hope, and please understand me when I say this. I disagree fervently with the people on our side of the aisle who have caved and who say, "Well, I hope he succeeds. We've got to give him a chance." Why? They didn't give Bush a chance in 2000. Before he was inaugurated the search-and-destroy mission had begun. I'm not talking about search-and-destroy, but I've been listening to Barack Obama for a year-and-a-half. I know what his politics are. I know what his plans are, as he has stated them. I don't want them to succeed.

If I wanted Obama to succeed, I'd be happy the Republicans have laid down. And I would be encouraging Republicans to lay down and support him. Look, what he's talking about is the absorption of as much of the private sector by the US government as possible, from the banking business, to the mortgage industry, the automobile business, to health care. I do not want the government in charge of all of these things. I don't want this to work. So I'm thinking of replying to the guy, "Okay, I'll send you a response, but I don't need 400 words, I need four: I hope he fails." (interruption) What are you laughing at? See, here's the point. Everybody thinks it's outrageous to say. Look, even my staff, "Oh, you can't do that." Why not? Why is it any different, what's new, what is unfair about my saying I hope liberalism fails? Liberalism is our problem. Liberalism is what's gotten us dangerously close to the precipice here. Why do I want more of it? I don't care what the Drive-By story is. I would be honored if the Drive-By Media headlined me all day long: "Limbaugh: I Hope Obama Fails." Somebody's gotta say it.
True, people didn't give President Bush a chance in 2000 because they were still bitter from the hanging-chad, Supreme Court-decided election. Do you really think people would have given Al Gore a chance if the gavel had banged the other way? Hard feelings abounded all over the place.

I remember when President Clinton ran into trouble in the opening months of his presidency. Legendary conservative Barry Goldwater said people ought to give him a chance. If Barry Goldwater could say that about Bill Clinton, he's probably saying it in Paradise about Barack Obama.

Saying you want liberalism to fail is one thing. But saying you want a president to fail because of his alleged -- but not proven -- liberalism smacks of partisan holy war. Our country is in too big a mess to want any leader to fail. President Obama can pass his stimulus package without GOP votes. But he met with Republicans anyway. He is not going to play tough-luck politics, and yes, I know about his "we won" remark.

Rush himself once said people voted the Republicans into congressional power in 1994 because the "Contract With America" gave people something to vote for. Barack Obama did that too. And like it or not, the GOP and conservatives need to figure that out before they grumble and curse themselves -- or others -- into irrelevancy.

UPDATE: Rush is now pitching his version of a bi-partisan stimulus plan which includes both tax cuts and spending, just like President Obama's version, but in different proportions.

Also, see Jon Swift's clever analysis of Rush's remarks.

2 comments:

fraizerbaz said...

I wonder if he realizes just how reckless that comment was. Doubtful.

But you are right - he is more of an annoyance these days than anything.

fraizerbaz said...

Funny how a day after I comment here, I see this in my reader account:

http://jonswift.blogspot.com/2009/01/rush-limbaugh-gives-republicans-hope.html