Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Picture A Clue

Miley Cyrus' embarrassment and apology over that partially-nude photo shoot by Annie Liebovitz reeks of naivety.

Surely her handlers and parents knew of Liebovitz' reputation for raising eyebrows. This photographer has:
  • Showed John Lennon nude, hugging Yoko Ono.

  • Showed Demi Moore nude and pregnant.

  • Showed all four members of Fleetwood Mac in bed together for Rolling Stone.

  • Asked Queen Elizabeth to remove her crown during a photo shoot. Her Majesty is lucky that's all she was asked to remove.
So pardon me while I scratch my head at Cyrus' response:
“I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be ‘artistic’ and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed. I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about.”
This reminds me of the 1983 Miss America scandal, where Vanessa Williams surrendered her title after extremely naked pictures ran in Penthouse. Williams said she posed under reassurance the pictures were for "artistic" purposes only.

Repeat after me: Yeah, right.

So ladies, the next time you hear the words "artistic purposes," make sure you're not in front of a camera.

No comments: