Monday, April 7, 2008

Christopher The Loyalist

One of the things I love about Colonial Williamsburg is the evening programs, which add a little extra interactivity and living history.

Tonight I went to one in the old courthouse: "Revolutionary Points Of View." You hear a few of the interpreters playing the roles of Virginia colonists, arguing for against a resolution declaring independence from England -- not the Declaration of Independence, but a resolution supporting it. (We also heard at least 20 minutes of historical setup that was way more than we needed!).

Then it's your turn. A meeting of the Virginia House of Delegates is called to order and you may rise to speak for or against the resolution. If you're stumped for words, you can always read from a script card handed out to every audience member, each with a different argument.

"The floor is open for debate!" announced the chairman from the front of the courthouse, accompanied by only one clerk to do the official reading and vote tallying.

So after some stoking of patriotic sentiment, did anyone rise to debate? No. Not yet.

"Oh come now," complained the chair. "Surely there must be somebody--"

Heads turned to me. I knew they would. After all, I'm the only one besides the interpreters wearing a tricorn hat. My We Make History friends are expecting me to go into character. So I get things started, reading from the card -- in character, in accent, in tricorn... as a loyalist.

"Mister Chairman, William Cabell Junior, delegate from Amherst County. I have refused to ship my tobacco to England for the last five years. I am willing to continue peaceful protests because we have that right as British subjects. Even my county is named for a British General and former government of Virginia! Are we willing to give up that entire wonderful British heritage? Is this step absolutely necessary? I yield the floor."
I have toyed with playing the part of a loyal subject. They, after all, had things they believed in too, just as much as the patriots believed in liberty and revolution. Many loyalists were also taken aback at what they perceived as a thought police -- the reporting of loyalists to "Committees of Safety" who then carried out mob justice in the name of liberty. Tar and feathers do not make a dignified impression.

Several more delegates spoke -- many offering "God Save Virginia!" or "God Save The King!" and I offered a rebuttal:

"Mr. Chairman... I would remind my fellow delegates that Virginia has prospered, indeed, thrived under the leadership of the Crown. Do we wish to abandon that for an untested form of government?"
In the end, my Tory arguments didn't matter. The resolution passed 12-8, garnering cheers from the gallery and independence for the nation.

I voted for independence. I'm not that much of a Tory.

All right, they reminded me about the tar and feathers.

No comments: