Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hoopskirts = Racism???

The leader of Alabama's NAACP wants the Azalea Trail Maids of Mobile to stay home from the presidential inauguration because they wear hoopskirts dating back to the Old South, which reminds him of slavery.

As WSFA-TV in Montgomery reports:
"These are not just regular costumes. These are the costumes that remind someone of the plantation in Gone with the Wind," Edward Vaughn said in a phone interview.
So let me make sure I understand this: it is impossible to separate the respectful, beautiful, and inspirational aspects of our history from the ugly and unjust parts.

Along this line of reasoning, I should never wear my 18th Century formal attire because the gentlemen of that era owned slaves, servants, and subjugated women. I also should never wear Captain Burgundy's outfit because privateers killed people and looted ships. The Puritan clothes must go too, I guess, and we all know about... ahem... them. And I haven't even mentioned my Confederate Army uniform.

My re-enactor friends, the people I thank God for bringing into my life, are not unreconstructed Southerners, chauvinistic scoundrels or "Bible thumpers," for lack of a better term. We are people who love God, love our families, and love submerging ourselves in the pages of history so that the future generations may learn the kinds of things they're not getting in school. We love the fashion and manners of bygone eras. The ladies and gentlemen I know are beautiful, both inside and outside, brave, and strong. We are not a snobby bunch; indeed, we want to draw people in, sharing the love of God through living history and uplifting and inspiring as many as we can.

Why do I re-enact? Because it uplifts me. Because it uplifts others. Because it brought me back to God.

Somebody please tell Mr. Vaughn that.

UPDATE: Mr. Vaughn has apologized, partially.

No comments: