Saturday, January 17, 2009

From The Elegant To The Overjoyed

My dearest readers, a proper 18th Century ball would be remiss without at least one opportunity to dance -- or at least observe -- a minuet. It is beauty and precision, presented in symmetrical form between two partners.

The minuet takes many forms, and many days of practice to master. But I say to you, my friends, one needs only a graceful step and a sense of three-quarter time to obtain the basic feel. From there, we may sharpen the dull points.

What say you, ladies and gentlemen?

I say we watch this example from the New York Baroque Dance Company:



And observe the first part of this demonstration, from regal parts unknown:



In a proper ball, the fancy dances and all minuets will come first. Because of the limited number of people who can properly perform such art, they are limited in duration so that everyone may take the floor for the simpler set dances. In Her Majesty's realm, we wish for as many people to dance as much as possible, so you shall see no minuets here. However, do not be surprised to see your humble servant improvising a minuet with a young lady during a pause in the festivities.

You will hear dancing masters emphasize poise and precision. They will remind you to point your toes or hold your hands in a courtly manner. You will practice your bows and curtsies. But dearest readers, if you learn no other lesson, learn to enjoy every moment of every dance. Immerse yourself in its pleasure and let all cares drift away from you like parchment in the wind. Smile graciously to your dancing companions. Honour them with every step. Uplift their spirits. For we are in this world far too briefly, and we must not miss those opportunities to engage in diversions which leave us feeling truly and wonderfully blessed.

So come, let us be merry! The time for minuets has passed. I suggest something rousing! Madame Noire, I bow to you once again as I share another of your suggested clips to illustrate what I seek.



Thank you, dearest readers. I shall see you on the ballroom floor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dearest Viscount Francis:

I pray that the afterglow of the ball still penetrates your heart and your mind at this very hour. I hope that we will share a dance together very soon. I pray God's blessings on you. A sincere curtsy to you always, my dear sir! Huzzah!

Your humble servant, your friend, and your sister in the Lord,

Madame Noire

Christopher said...

My Dearest Madame Noire,

Indeed it does, my lady! It is with sadness that the ball is now behind me, but my love of all things courtly, proper, and elegant shines bright within my heart. I shall refuse to let go of it! It permeates my very being, for I believe as we uplift others in dance, we give Glory to GOD.

And my lady, I do look forward to sharing that dance with you when the time does come. I do invite you to join us at a ball some time. Or maybe, perhaps, you know of a stately and courtly ball where I may be honoured to join you!

HUZZAH!

With a courtly bow to you, my dear lady...

Your Humble Servant, Friend, And Brother In Christ,

Viscount Christopher