Friday, April 11, 2008

Perhaps He's A Tory

A middle schooler who was lagging behind his group walked up to me this morning, while I was in full uniform and asked, "What's with the getup?"

He obviously thought I was too old to be dressing up.

"I am a soldier of General Washington's Continental Line," I explained to him. "A patriot."

"But this is 1760's," he said.

I don't know what point he was trying to make. Was he saying I was out of place? The scope of Colonial Williamsburg's programs and buildings span from 1699 to 1783 and beyond. Or maybe he had the date wrong for the Revolutionary War.

"1776 to 1783," I clarified.

He walked on, still a little perplexed and maybe a little annoyed at my presence. I walked away hoping I wouldn't see his name and face in the paper 10 years from now next to the headline: "Six Shot Dead By Lone Gunman"

No comments: