Friday, September 3, 2010

Awkward Pause Or "Me Moment?"

Governor Jan Brewer's much-discussed bit of political dead air left me with a decidedly different impression. First, let's watch the clip:



Now, here are the statements leading up to the pregnant pause:

"It's great to be here with Larry, Barry, and Terry, and thank you all for watching us tonight. I have, uh... done so much, and I just cannot believe we have changed everything since I became your governor in the last 600 days. Arizona has been brought back from its abyss. We have cut the budget, we have balance the budget, and we are moving forward. We have done everything we could possibly do...."

That's where Governor Brewer halts, smiles a little wider, exhales and finally says, "We have, uh, did what was right for Arizona."

Some people see this as a brain freeze, and having had many of those, I can sympathize 100 percent. However, I think this is better explained as a moment where Governor Brewer was so wrapped up in admiration of her record that she experienced an overpowering instance of self-exultation. She had an extreme moment of Zen, and it left her speechless.

I've seen others in similar moments, but they were talking about the achievements or actions of their children, their co-workers, their friends, or what GOD has done for them. Somewhere in here we have a lesson on humility, but I think you can figure it out.

No comments: