Sunday, May 3, 2009

Step Lively, Laddie!

The Highland Ball is three months away. However, the Tartan Day Ball is this Saturday in Tucson. Now, ye don' expect me t' wait three months t' put on me kilt an' caper wi' the lassies, now?

So all this week I'll be showing you examples of what I'm about to dip my foot into: Scottish Country Dancing.

We'll begin with a fine example from Corryvrechan Scottish Dance Team, performing "Angus MacLeod," "Saxmundham," and the "Reel of the 51st."



Note some differences from English Country Dancing I know and love so well. First, you see a skipping step, one I have yet to master. Secondly, the figures are lot more intricate and less symmetrical than English dance. And third, well, you just gotta love those kilts.

Putting on the kilt is brave enough. But a lad who twirls in a kilt is a man and a half!

No comments: