Thursday, March 12, 2009

Royal Treatment

Who should step into the KOLD newsroom today but the King of the Renaissance Festival -- fashionably portly, in full regal regalia: brown robes, gold chains, and a modest but authoritative crown.

“You have a visitor,” Mindy Blake says to me with a smile just before he steps into our workspace without fanfare. No trumpets sound, no herald proclaims his presence other than a gregarious member of our Sales staff. His Majesty is accompanied by two lady handlers in modern-day dress.

As you would expect, I waste no time stepping up to him and giving honors.



“Your majesty,” I greet, bowing and bending at the knee in the best show of reverence possible with slacks and a polo shirt.

“Cover yourself,” he says as I rise.

Cover what? My head? My elbows? I'm not wearing a hat -- not even a tricorn. I offer bows to the ladies in turn, who seem much more appreciative.

His Royal Majesty has no time for small talk with the newsroom peasants, as he proceeds to the studio for an interview on KOLD News 13’s “Business File” segment, obviously plugging the Festival or perhaps his view on taxation without representation.

He slips out before I can offer him a fare-thee-well. Perhaps he found out I was a soldier in George Wasington’s Army and fears he might be mistaken for King George III. Those studio cameras shoot only pictures, don’t they?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dearest Viscount Francis:

Ah, what a delectable treat to receive a royal visit from the King and the Queen of the Renaissance Faire. I had the privilege of the visiting the Renaissance Faire last weekend. I took in the delights of the royal spectacle. I was even filmed for a documentary that is being made about Renaissance Faire culture. I was finally able to watch the beautiful, 17th century dance troupe,The Danseries, that you so elegantly described. I was so enraptured by gracefully and refined movements of 17th century dance. Indeed, my dearest gentleman, dance is such a wonderful diversion! May the Lord fill your week with all his love and his blessings, my dearest sir!

As always, I curtsy to my dearest Viscount with all respect and reverence.

Your faithful servant and your friend,

Mme. Noire