Saturday, May 3, 2008

Picnicking In The Past

A few scenes from We Make History's annual 18th Century Picnic.

Photos by Viscount Christopher Francis and Mrs. Rosemary.

All of us are game for something new -- lawn golf!


The rules in brief: 3 points for landing your... uh... whatever-it-is on the top rung, 2 for the middle and one for the bottom.


It takes just the right touch.


Your humble Viscount tried his best, but could only manage wrapping it around the bottom of the post. Pity it does not count for even half a point.


But it's good to climb to the pinnacle of achievement.


The victorious ladies, 24-17. And with our arms warmed up... let's bowl!


Yes, dearest readers, bacci is indeed the sport of kings... and viscounts. 'Tis April Madness, our annual single-elimination royal tournament.


I've rolled it. I've lobbed it. I've tried just about everything but the knuckleball. But with the jack (the white ball) way out in the field, I have no choice but the shotputter's hurl.


Our French allies know it's all in the wrist.


His Lordship is quite the expert.


Fairness requires that we go to the tape on more than one occasion. The closer you get to the jack, the higher you score.


My partner and I, the charming lady to my left, try our best, but we are blitzed by a youthful pair 10-0. Ah well... bowling was never my choice diversion.

I hear clapping and laughter. It must be the Virginia Reel -- by way of Prescott!


Honouring the ladies...


A right-hand turn...


Sashaying my partner...


Now, reel that set!




With both hands and feet warmed up, let us repair to the gridiron. Off comes my coat, but the tricorn stays on.


That hat actually protects me after a hard hit. Beautiful and practical -- the perfect fit!


Our cheering section:

No comments: