Saturday, June 8, 2019

Zoom Across Town



I'm not ashamed to admit I like films with good car chases. Foul Play (1978) starring Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn has one of the funniest. Chase plays a bumbling detective protecting a shy San Francisco librarian. This was Chase's first film role, and it would set the table for what was to come.

A look at the films
that have left a mark on my life.
I never saw this film in the theater, but I watched it several times when CBS aired it on Saturday Night At The Movies, including one time when Grandma Lawson was babysitting us while The Queen Mother and Royal Father went on a royal outing for the dinner-and-movie date night.

Almost forgotten, Dudley Moore is loveable in this film -- his first American feature -- as a nervous swinger who's afraid of the cops.



But the centerpiece is the climactic chase scene, juxtaposed against Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado.

No comments: