Saturday, June 24, 2017

Walking On Baroque-n Glass

A look at the songs that have shaped
my life and ended up on my devices.
One idea I've played around with for awhile is wanting to have a Georgian/Colonial/English historic dance party with non-period music. Some pop songs have enough historic flair to lend themselves to longways sets, and this one from Annie Lennox would definitely be on the list:



It has a couple of pauses I would have to work out, but I think I could find a dance that would fit -- or I could construct one.

Another candidate for the non-period period ball -- this one by The Left Banke:



The Fab Four would get their due:



Surprisingly, and probably much to the concern of some of you purists, old disco records might actually work very well for non-period-correct English Country Dance. They have a solid, four-on-the-floor beat that's easy to dance to. As such, I'd have to include this one on my playlist from Yvonne Elliman:



This particular record could pose a few challenges because it has some variations that could throw a few dancers. But how many of us dance adventurists have backed down from a challenge?

No comments: