Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Give Me Just A Little More Space

A look at the songs that have shaped
my life and ended up on my devices.
Driving away from the Rio Grande Valley in December 1999, I felt liberated and free. A new, exciting job lie ahead in Tucson. And on the radio, the Chairmen of the Board sang about my need for release.



Before my eyes, as I rolled through small town after small town on the way to connect with I-10 south of San Antonio, I saw signs of life as the sun rose on a foggy Saturday morning. Restaurants opened, stores started opening, and people were picking back up on the holiday spirit and sprint. Christmas was the furthest thing from my mind at that moment, even though I was getting my biggest gift right now.

"Give me just a little more time, and my love will surely grow."

I needed time and space. I needed to decompress from what had been a grueling and demoralizing year in a job with a tempermental boss. I needed to get back to other things in life other than work. A road trip -- even though it wasn't a vacation -- fit my needs exactly at this moment. This was going to be an adventure, no matter what. My colleagues had given me an emergency road kit and some snacks. I could only hope the Celebrity was up to it. It had made it from St. Louis to McAllen. I had it checked out and fixed up before the trip. What it lacked in style and a working tape deck, it compensated for with an engine built like a tank.

It powered me through Texas, New Mexico and into Arizona the next day. Before I started work, I had time to enjoy the beautiful new scenery of my new hometown. I would be working and on vacation at the same time. I would be in a desert Oasis. I would have more time to just... breathe.

No comments: