Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Finding Peace

My Grandfather wrote:

O GOD of peace, who has taught us that in returning and rest we shall be saved, in quietness and confidence shall be our strength; by the might of THY SPIRIT lift us, we pray THEE, to THY presence, where we may be still and know that THOU art GOD; through JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD.

Three years ago on this day, I lived through the surreal experience of dealing with a mass shooting here in Tucson, and the beginning of what would be a slow emotional drain. I ended up talking to a good friend of mine at The Cool Church who happens to be one of our ace Biblical counselors. He told me he and his fellow counselors had spent some time talking to first responders who had worked through that day and found themselves shaken to the core. They reminded them of Queen Esther's story, and how she was put in her position "for such as time" as the one now upon us. My friend told me, I was no different, even though I was a journalist, not a paramedic or a policeman.

I drew closer to GOD over the next few months, praying for strength to keep going on, through that awful year of 2011, with its parade of disheartening news that just kept coming, including the Monument Fire that burned through homes in Sierra Vista and all the continuing drama surrounding Gabrielle Giffords and the January 8th gunman's court case. I nearly quit the business that year. I thank GOD for giving me the strength and peace to stick it out.

No comments: