Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ewwww, A Dancing Bug?

Dearest Dancing Friends, in the 18th Century, it was thought that a bite from a maggot spurred creativity. Thus some dances have the word "maggot" attached, like this one made famous in Pride & Prejudice: Mr. Beveridge's Maggot.



The preceding come from a previous Jane Austen Evening in Pasadena, like the one I'm bound for this weekend. Technically, it's a dance intended "for those who know," but that doesn't stop people from trying it. I learned it last summer for another ball, and I think I can remember enough of it to make do with light prompting. Either that, or I can rehearse with an invisible partner.

Here's a variation with more of a Renaissance feel:



But here's my favorite rendition, performed by some elegant Russians:



Peter The Great would've been proud.

No comments: