Sunday, October 4, 2009

Let's Get This Soiree Started

Greetings once again, my friends!

The Pride & Prejudice Ball is less than half a fortnight away, and faithful readers of this continuing epistle know what that means: time once again to immerse you into my dearest diversion. So all this week, I will be presenting for your pleasure some of my favourite dances from the Regency era, that time of Jane Austen, Thomas Jefferson, Beau Brummel and that scoundrel Napoleon.

Dearest Readers, I do know that many of you find the longways set a bit intimidating, threatening even. Oh, but fear not! I will begin with an easy yet elegant dance that is close to my heart.

From the Emerald City Regency Ball, here is the Duke Of Kent's Waltz:



Bravo! Now here is another rendition from the Society for Manners and Merriment, and please forgive the darkness.



And finally, a brief snippet from the The Quadrille Club, who throw in a genteel promenade:



Your humble servant is especially fond of the balance (pronounced "Bal-uh-say") step in the middle. It has a certain courtly charm, even if notions of liberty are running wild through this world...

Facebook users, you'll have to click "Show Original Post" to see the above videos. The RSS feed from Francispage.com is not passing through YouTube embed code.

No comments: