Wednesday, September 3, 2008

One And Half Arms

"I can't believe you don't have any pain!"

Oh, believe it all right. God is Great. But working with a casted right arm still gives me a few headaches.

* Typing: The weight of the polycarbonate material tires my limb as I tap out scripts in the newsroom. I can relieve it by balancing it on my knee, which involves sitting in a slightly weird position. I've taken on a normal workload since coming back to KOLD -- including last night's primary elections -- with hardly any assistance.

* Driving: I'm glad I drive an automatic. Shifting is done with my left hand since it's hard to grip the lever with all the cast material in the way. Forget about turning any keys with my right hand alone.

* Doors: Unless it has a lever, the left hand is on knob duty.

But let's be real. All of this is low-grade nitpicking. My right bicep may be hating me now, but it's gonna love me when the wrap comes off, and then I'll suddenly find I can pick up a GMC van with my right hand or some other unexpected feat of strength.

Then, I'll hear a new question: "How did you get those scars?"

No comments: