Friday, August 22, 2008

Introducing A New Member Of The Cast

My first follow-up with the doctor since I broke my arm has brought good news and a new cast.


Before: Filling out paperwork at UPH with my left (non-writing) hand. Underneath that sling lies a massive splint of plaster, cotton, gauze... and my healing right hand. But not for long.


New x-rays reveal the healing continues (Praise God!), and in the cast room, technicians cut away the wrapped behemoth, leaving me to face the staples left in two sides of my arm after the plates went in. Truth be told, things didn't look as bad as I feared, but my skin's got some more healing to do. The staples should come out next week. For now, it's time to move up to a new cast.


After the gauze and the main layer goes on, my technician cuts notches to allow me to bend my elbows. He says he has "angel hands." Each touch feels like a hug.


"What color would you like?"

"Blue," I say. Patriot Blue. Blue like that of Heaven and God's Favor. Sky blue like the trim of my 1st Virginia uniform.

"Do I have to wear a sling?" I query.

"No," my technician answers. "In fact, we recommend you don't so you can move that arm."

I have conquered the sling. Huzzah! Huzzah!

God Is Great!


Thanks to Dan for the photos!

No comments: