This nation is dealing with two wars, gunk in the Gulf, a huge deficit, a stalled economy and immigration issues, just for starters. It's hard to get people feeling good about the good 'ol U.S.A. As the famous patriot Thomas Paine once wrote, "These are the times that try men's souls."
Unroll the Declaration of Independence and you'll find plenty of blessings to count by way of all the things your colonial ancestors had to endure, among them:
- "Standing Armies" that nobody called for or wants
- Quartering of soldiers in people's homes. Think your kids are the terror of your domicile? Try living with a redcoat.
- Trade embargoes with anybody but England
- Taxes. Taxes. More taxes -- without representation
- Plundering, ravaging, burning and destruction of towns, all with the king's consent
- "swarms of Officers" sent "to harass our people"
- Judges dependent on the will of the king
- Repeated messing with colonial legislatures, including dissolving them at will. Not what I would call "limited government."
Maybe this time next year, we won't be in such a crummy national mood. Go ahead and insert your political messages here for November. Just remember, you get what you elect -- although you can't forget you are blessed to do the electing.