Friday, February 20, 2009

Candlelight Company

Dearest Readers, in my perusal of available YouTube material related to my dearest diversion, I have found something that probably best captures the flavor of an assembly -- that is a ball for those of you living two centuries ahead of me -- from the 1700's. Notice the candlelit atmosphere, or at least a believable facsimile thereof.

Here you shall see snippets of three dances, the first one being one of my favourites, "Haste To The Wedding!" I cannot place the others for now, though I am sure I have danced one of them at some time, perhaps at the George Washington Ball!



Of course, the dancers of the 1700's would not have needed a caller. Remember, you would have been dancing every week, learning at will. If someone called for a dance unfamiliar, someone would quickly explain the figures to you, and you would carry on with little or no prompting. Perhaps there would be a few errors, but likely not!

No comments: